Sports podiatry is the branch of podiatry that deals with the diagnosis, treatment
Sporting injuries can be either due to trauma or overuse. Weakness in particular muscle groups may make you more susceptible to injury.
Common sporting injuries that podiatrists see are:
- Tendinitis/ tendinopathy
- ‘Shin splints’
- Big toe sprains or ‘turf toe’
- Plantar fasciitis
- And more…
How can podiatrists help?
- Diagnose the injury, which includes the ability to refer for imaging including X-Ray, Ultrasound, CT and MRI scans.
- Treat the injury: We have a wide range of treatment options such as manual therapy (
mobilisations, dry needling, myofascial release), electrotherapy ( Low levellaser and ultrasound therapies) and orthotic therapy.
- Rehabilitation plan: We can provide you with a program to restore muscle strength, range of motion and flexibility. This is an important part of injury rehabilitation to prevent recurrence
and andget you back to pre-morbid function.
- Prevent future injuries. We can work with you to try and prevent further injuries of the same type (or others) occurring in the future.