Often we develop problems with our feet and legs simply because of the way that we are designed! Some people have flat feet, some have high arches, some have legs, which bend one way or another, and there are many other subtle differences in how we stand and walk. We are all variations upon a theme; and it turns out that some variations are less ideal than others! Oh, well…
Other people may have grown up OK, but then had a change in the way that they function — perhaps as a result of an injury, or a medical problem.
Problems which are associated with differences in our structure and function include:
- Heel pain
- Achilles tendon pain
- Toe deformities (of many kinds)
- Pain under the feet
- Leg pain/Knee pain/Back pain
- Excessive formation of corns and callous
- And much else besides!
If we identify a biomechanical factor that is causing problems for a patient, then there are a variety of ways that we can help. These include:
- The use of customised insoles (“orthoses”), which make you function in a more ideal manner. These orthoses may be made in a laboratory, or made at our office, using our computerised Amfit® CAD-CAM system, which can scan your feet and make custom orthoses at our office.
- Advice about footwear
- Stretching advice
- Advice with training techniques for sports people
In many cases, we can completely resolve symptoms related to biomechanical problems.